This Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini and Basil is the perfect family recipe, packing in all that seasonal produce into a pasta dish that is both kid-friendly and vegetarian. Your family will love it so much, you’ll want to make it all winter long!
Thank you to our food contributor Kathleen Ashmore for sharing. Go to kathleenashmore.com to find all her recipes or follow her on Instagram @kat_can_cook.
Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini and Basil
12 ounces GF penne or shells
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided 4 cups zucchini, diced small
2 ears of corn, shucked, kernels removed 1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup goat milk yogurt
1/2 cup basil, finely sliced
Zest from one lemon
Freshly cracked pepper to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
- Place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- When hot, add the diced onion with a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring as needed, until caramelized.
- Add garlic, zucchini, and corn, a large pinch of salt and cracked pepper, and cook for 2 minutes undisturbed. Stir, and cook for one minute more then transfer to a large bowl—zucchini may taste underdone, but it will continue to cook as it sits.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta one minute less than package directions, reserving 1 cup of pasta water once it’s done.
- Strain pasta, then add to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Set the saute pan over medium heat. Add the reserved pasta cooking liquid, lemon zest and juice, and the yogurt to the sauté pan and stir until emulsified. Add the pasta and vegetables and stir for 30 seconds to coat. Add the basil, and toss one last time.